Preschool and Pre-Kindergarten
Welcome and thank you for choosing the Kindergarden Preschool at FUMC!!
The Kindergarden is a Christian preschool program for two, three, and four year olds. The classes are sponsored by the First United Methodist Church. We operate five days a week. Children may enroll in our Preschool on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, or they may enroll in Tuesday and Thursday. Four year olds have the option of enrolling for all five days. The times are as follows:
2 yr. Old 9:00-11:30
3 yr. Old 9:00-11:45
4 yr. Old 9:00-12:00
The purpose of the program is to provide an environment for your child to grow spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally, creatively, and socially. We want your child to have fun at the Kindergarden as the learning process takes place. Our curriculum is designed to keep your child stimulated and to offer individualization according to the child’s social and intellectual needs. Kindergarden Preschool at FUMC admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.
ADMISSION AGE AND POLICY FOR CLASS PLACEMENT
Children will be placed in classes based on their age as of August 31 of the current school year. This is consistent with the public school placement law. To enroll in our program, your child must be two years old on August 31 of the current year.
Tuition for the school year will be $120.00 per month for our M/W/F, program and $105.00 per month for T/TH program, plus a $50.00 registration fee. This is due at the first class meeting of each month. Make checks payable to the KINDERGARDEN PRESCHOOL or FUMC. Discounts are available for families with more than one child enrolled in the program.
Late Payment Policy:
1. A past due notice will be sent home on the 15th of each month. After the 15th, a late fee of $10.00 will be due.
2. A letter will be sent at the end of the month if payment has not been received.
3. If payment is not made according to policy, the next child on the Kindergarden waiting list will be picked up in the delinquent child’s place.
Returned Check Policy:
For all returned checks, there will be a $20.00 service charge. To ensure your child’s place in the preschool, the check amount and service charge fee should be paid within 10 days of being notified by the Preschool Director.
Lunch Bunch is a time of fellowship for preschool friends ages three and four to enjoy a nutritious meal together. This is held once a week on Wednesdays. The time for our threes is 11:45-12:45 and our fours is 12:00-1:00. The cost is $3.00 per child, and each child is to bring a lunch from home.
- Each child will hear Bible stories and concepts that are age-appropriate. These will be taught in stories, songs, dramatic activities, chapel programs, etc.
- Every day experience will be interpreted in ways consistent with God’s plan for all people.
- There will be prayer time daily.
- Develop a positive self-concept in each child, instilling the belief that they, their ideas, and their feelings are important and have values.
- Develop each child’s ability to make choices and decisions.
- Develop each child’s ability to work with other children and adults.
Language and Listening Skills
- Develop each child’s ability to express thoughts, ideas, and feelings in order to communicate them to others.
- Vocabulary building will be a part of every activity with new words introduced in a meaningful context.
- Good children’s literature will be used to develop listening skills and stimulate thinking and imagination.
- Each child will have the opportunity to manipulate, explore and create with a variety of art materials.
- Each child will be encouraged to create from his/her own feelings and observations rather than from models provided by a teacher.
- Each child will have opportunities to hear many kinds of music and to sing, relax, or respond in other ways to music.
- Classroom musical activities will be used to teach concepts, reinforce learning, and develop skills in addition to enjoying music.
- Each child will participate in a music program that is age appropriate and that will stimulate their desire to grow in their knowledge of music. This time will include finger play, action songs, and other children’s songs.
- Each child will be encouraged to play informally in learning centers and outdoors, and more formally in story time and group activities.
- Each child will have opportunities to use puppets, costumes, and other props to identify with people, times, and places in a make-believe world.
- Each child will have the opportunity to develop motor skills and comfort of movement through use of appropriate equipment.
- Each child will have the opportunity and encouragement to explore the world around us.
- Each child will participate in exercise to develop concepts of color, size, shape, position, location, numbers, and classification skills.
- In order to provide understanding of the concepts, each child will have concrete experience using objects which can be touched, moved, and manipulated.
**All activities will be related to one central theme that will be divided into monthly units of study.**
- Units of study during the year will include seasons, weather, holidays, colors, shapes, home and family, language and listening skills, creative art, social skills, math skills, music, and many more. However, the major emphasis will be on the study of our Creator through Bible stories, verses, songs, art, and Chapel. Current unit titles will be posted in each child’s classroom and sent home on a monthly calendar.
- Every child will attend Chapel each week. The Pastor talks about a related Bible story.
- We hope that each child will leave knowing and understanding that God loves them.
- We also hope that each child will be well prepared for their future in school.